Effective Date: November 29, 2018
Thank you for using SHAPE Illinois, a website owned and operated by the Chicagoland Apartment Association, a not-for-profit trade association affiliated with the National Apartment Association (“SHAPE Illinois” or “we” or “us” or “our”) to educate Illinois legislators on the need for a balanced housing policy approach to implement strategies to increase housing supply, which does not include the harmful, unintended consequences of rent control. We are committed to protecting your personal information and your right to privacy. If you have any questions or concerns about our policy, or our practices with regards to your personal information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- WHAT INFORMATION WILL SHAPE ILLINOIS COLLECT ABOUT YOU?
Our website is intended for users age 18 or older. We do not knowingly collect information from anyone younger than age 18.
In order to offer our users the best experience possible, we request the following information from them:
We value your privacy, so we try to collect as little information as necessary to ensure our Site and Application run smoothly. Certain features of our Site and Application cannot function without this information. The following information (“Personal Information”) is collected only when you input information on our Site by using our Application.
- Your name (first and last)
- Your email address
- Your home address
- Your information contained in a correspondence to Illinois legislators
AUTOMATICALLY COLLECTED INFORMATION
When you access the Site, our servers automatically collect the following information:
- IP address
- Device identifier
- Browser type
- Operating system
- Access times
- Search terms you entered into search engines to access our site
- Pages you viewed immediately before and after accessing our site
We use this information primarily to improve our services and functionality. We may use this information for marketing and analytics purposes, as well.
- HOW WILL SHAPE ILLINOIS USE YOUR INFORMATION?
Having accurate information about you lets us provide you with a smooth, efficient, and customized experience. Specifically, we may use information collected about you through the Site and our Application for the following:
- Assist law enforcement, respond to subpoenas or other forms of legal process; and
- Prevent fraudulent transactions, monitor against theft, and protect against criminal activity.
- Compile anonymous statistical data analysis for use internally or with third parties;
- Deliver targeted advertising, coupons, newsletters, and other information regarding promotions and the Site to you;
- Fulfill and manage digital marketing campaigns related to the Site and use of our Application; and
- Solicit support for the Site and Application.
USER EXPERIENCE ENHANCEMENTS
- Increase the efficiency and operation of the Site and Application;
- Monitor and analyze usage and trends to improve your experience with the Site and Application;
- Offer new products, services, and/or recommendations to you;
- Resolve disputes and troubleshoot problems; and
- Create and manage your use of the Site and Application.
- Email you regarding your campaign correspondence;
- Send you occasional email updates about the advocacy campaign;
- Encourage you to contact your legislator in follow-up correspondence;
- Respond to product and customer service requests;
- Notify you of updates to the Site or our Application; and
- Request feedback and contact you about your use of the Site or our Application.
- WILL SHAPE ILLINOIS DISCLOSE YOUR INFORMATION TO ANYONE?
We may share information we have collected about you in certain situations. Your information may be shared for the following reasons:
TO COMPLY WITH LAWS TO PROTECT THE RIGHTS OF OUR USERS
If we believe the release of information about you is necessary to respond to a legal process, to investigate or remedy potential violations of our policies, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of others, we may share your information as permitted or required by any applicable law, rule, or regulation. This includes exchanging information with other entities for fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
TO ASSIST THIRD-PARTY SERVICE PROVIDERS
We may share your information with third parties that perform services for us or on our behalf, including data analysis, email delivery, hosting services, customer service, and marketing assistance.
TO FACILITATE OUR SERVICES
When you input your Personal Information, initiate a campaign correspondence, or add other content to the Site through our Application, your contributions may be viewed by the intended recipients and may be publicly distributed outside the Site in perpetuity. We may use these contributions for other purposes.
TO SUPPORT OUR AFFILIATES
TO COOPERATE WITH BUSINESS PARTNERS
We may share your information with our business partners to offer you certain products, services, or promotions.
TO PERFORM ANALYSIS AND MARKETING STRATEGIES WITH OTHER THIRD PARTIES
We may share your information with advertisers and investors for the purpose of conducting general business analysis. We may also share your information with such third parties for marketing purposes, as permitted by law.
TO TRANSFER ASSETS IN THE EVENT OF SALE OR BANKRUPTCY
We are not responsible for the actions of third parties with whom you share personal or sensitive data, and we have no authority to manage or control third-party solicitations. If you no longer wish to receive correspondence, emails, or other communications from third parties, you are responsible for contacting the third party directly.
- WHAT IS SHAPE ILLINOIS’S POLICY ON COOKIES AND OTHER TRACKING TECHNOLOGIES?
Any changes or modifications will be effective immediately upon posting the updated policy on the Site, and you waive the right to receive specific notice of each such change or modification. Your continued use of the Site after the revised policy is posted will be interpreted as your awareness and acceptance of the new terms.
CONTROL OF COOKIES
Most browsers are set to accept cookies by default. However, you can remove or reject cookies in your browser’s settings. Please be aware that such action could affect the availability and functionality of the Site and our Application.
OTHER TRACKING TECHNOLOGIES
In addition to cookies, we may use other tracking technologies to help customize the Site and improve your experience.
- WHAT IS SHAPE ILLINOIS’S STANCE ON THIRD-PARTY WEBSITES?
Before visiting and providing information to any third-party websites, you should familiarize yourself with the privacy policies and practices (if any) of the third party responsible for that website, and should take steps necessary to, in your discretion, protect the privacy of your information. We are not responsible for the content, privacy and security practices, or policies of any third parties, including other sites, services, or applications that may be linked to or from the Site.
- HOW DOES SHAPE ILLINOIS KEEP YOUR INFORMATION SAFE?
We use a variety of industry-standard security technologies and procedures to help protect your Personal Information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. While we have taken reasonable steps to secure the Personal Information you provide to us, please be aware that despite our efforts, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable, and no method of data transmission can be guaranteed against any interception or other type of misuse. Any information disclosed online is vulnerable to interception and misuse by unauthorized parties. Therefore, we cannot guarantee complete security if you provide Personal Information.
- DOES SHAPE ILLINOIS SOLICIT INFORMATION FROM CHILDREN?
We do not knowingly solicit information from or market to children under the age of 18. If you become aware of any data that we have collected from children under age 18, please contact us using the contact information provided below.
- DOES CHICAGOLAND APPARTMENT ASSOCIATION RESPOND TO DO-NOT-TRACK FEATURES?
- CAN WE CHANGE YOUR INFORMATION AND TERMINATE YOUR CORRESPONDENCE?
YOUR DIGITAL CAMPAIGN EMAILS
Once you send a digital campaign correspondence, we cannot retract your correspondence. Upon your request to remove your information from our system, we will deactivate or delete your information from our active databases. However, some information may be retained in our files to prevent fraud, troubleshoot problems, assist with any investigations, and/or comply with legal requirements.
OUR EMAILS AND COMMUNICATIONS
If you no longer wish to receive correspondence, emails, or other communications from us, you may opt-out by selecting to opt-out in our emails. You can also opt-in or opt-out by checking a box on our Site or contact us directly and request to stop receiving these communications.
- 10.DO CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS HAVE ADDITIONAL
Users of our Site or Application who are California residents may request and obtain from us once a year, free of charge, certain information about the Personal Information (if any) we disclosed to third parties for direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year. If applicable, this information would include a list of the categories of Personal Information that was shared and the names and addresses of all third parties with which we shared information in the immediately preceding calendar year. If you are a California resident and would like to make such a request, please submit your request in writing to email@example.com.
Chicagoland Apartment Association
Attn: Privacy Officer
557 W. Randolph St. #2
Chicago, IL 60661